This past week, I was listening to a local radio talk show (very rare for me) and I heard a few comments that really got my blood boiling. I tend to have a low tolerance for stupidity, but I think I’ve gotten a lot better guys. After my attention settled in for a few minutes, it became obvious that this radio talk show host was not African American. I don’t know what race he was, but African Americans know African Americans by voice (but I can admit that it’s not a science). We have genetically inherited certain qualities, just like other races have that we [African Americans] weren’t blessed with. He wasn’t one of us; I’ll just leave it there. But anyhow, for some odd reason, this talk show host had decided to take another shot at President Obama even though we’re already weeks into having a new president. My “spider” senses told me that he’s definitely in approval of the new president, so he should be in a good mood when speaking on the political climate in our country today. In my mind, I was already thinking, “Here we go again”….but shortly after listening to his perspective, I had more animated emotions. The presentation went a little something like this…
—President Obama granted clemency to over 100 inmates during his 8-year tenure as president (voice reeking of frustration). Many of those that received this ‘special treatment’ were individuals serving sentences of 25 years – to – life for federal drug violations. Obama wanted to stress equality, but the majority of the these felons were black; that doesn’t seem like equality to me. He backed his actions by arguing that these individual cases involved harsher punishments than necessary. Well, one of those drug felons that he released a few months ago was just arrested again in Texas after a high-speed pursuit. Law enforcement was tipped off that this individual had begun to be involved with distribution of narcotics again, which was the same thing that landed the man a life sentence after being convicted in 1991. Not even out three months after being granted a handout by President Obama, this man proved that his release was unwarranted and another clear error by our former president. Hopefully, we are in better hands now.—
Guys, none of the previous paragraph is fiction or exaggerated. I may not have quoted this radio personality verbatim, but I can assure you that the context and message is pretty close. Here are my issues and what got me so upset early that morning:
- The blatant disrespect towards President Obama is real; no other way to put it.
- Anybody that believes that anyone should be serving a LIFE SENTENCE for drug offenses is misguided and/or racist; flat-out. We all know who these drug laws work against the most, right? Those that have fewer opportunities in this country financially (due to many circumstances that I won’t expound upon) that are having to make desperate decisions for survival. Hmmm, I wonder who those people ‘typically’ are in this country?….Furthermore, there are people in this country getting 10-year sentences for MURDER….white men getting 3-month sentences for RAPE…but it’s okay for a individual with drug violations to get a LIFE SENTENCE….mannnnn….
- You decide to question our former president’s decision-making due to one case out of over 100? So, you’ve decided to form an opinion on 1% of data, and ignore the remaining 99%? What kind of confidence interval are you injecting into this equation (statistically speaking)….
- Are you really that disappointed that approximately 100 individuals were released from prison? We all know how populated our prisons are, right? Or is it because more-than-likely those released from prison due to these harsh sentences were more prone to be black, statistically? Just sayin…
- Exactly why are you surprised that a man that has been in federal prison since 1991 resorts back to desperate measures when the penal system has done nothing to produce opportunities for him upon his release? Where is he supposed to get a job with a felony on his record? Exactly what skill or trade has he been able to develop since he’s been in jail since he was 18 years old?
I really don’t have any more words to say; I could literally write all night in regards to this topic. I thought I’d be able to write this out and not get upset all over again…..that’s being proven not to be the case. Simply put, some people just won’t get it yawl….they just won’t. And it’s sad….but it is what it is. Onward and upward….